The Amsterdam School
The Amsterdam School (Dutch: Amsterdamse School) is a style of architecture that arose from 1910 through about 1930 in the Netherlands. The Amsterdam School movement is part of international Expressionist architecture, sometimes linked to German Brick Expressionism.
Once a year official historic sites and city monuments are open to the public in Amsterdam. Our dear friends P.G. and A.K. went to the “Open Heritage Days” in Amsterdam and took the pictures you see below. (Thakanks for sharing guyys!! xoxo Mimi)
(photocredits; Peter Graatsma)
The images are made in the Amsterdams Lyceum (designed by the Dutch Architect H.A.J. Baanders. The windows were painted by artist R.N. Roland Holst, 1918), Villa Lebbink at the Apollolaan (designed by the Dutch architect J.H. Mulder jr, 1927 ) and “The Grand Hotel“, a former convent and townhouse, also the place where former Dutch Queen Beatrix married the German Prince Claus Felix von Amsberg in 1966. (1661-1662, 1903-1905 en 1924-1926: A.R. Hulshoff en N. Lansdorp.)
“Open Monumentendag – every second weekend of September – thousands of historical buildings and sites (about 4.000) are open to the public free of charge. Besides opening their doors, many locations also organize on-site activities like exhibitions, musical performances and guided tours. Each year around 80 to 85 percent of Dutch municipalities participate in the Open Monumentendag, organized by local committees. In recent years around 900,000 visitors have participated annually, making the Open Monumentendag one of the Netherlands’ premier cultural events.” (read more openmonumentendag.nl)